Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sunday... first day off!

Sunday August 30, 2009
Sunday I was awoken by Mrs. Cus. She was calling my name to get up because I was sleeping in…. it was only 8:30 am lol! I probably could have slept all day because I was drained from the past week of technical training and language training. However, I got up to a wonderful breakfast… fried jacks (this type of fried biscuits) and drop eggs and stew beans.
Then I did my LAUNDARY for the first time in Belize. I haven’t done laundry for the past two and a half weeks I have been in Belize. I kind of lucked out with the laundry situation because my family had a spin washer so I got to use laundry powder soap. (Instead some people have to wash their clothes with a soap stick and a wash board in the river.) Then I rinsed my clothes in two different buckets… to get all the soap off my clothes. Then I hung my clothes on the line to dry. (Thank goodness it is always sunny in Belize!!!)
Then Kevina and Greg and their host siblings came to pick me and my host siblings up to go to the park. Mrs. Cus was hesitant to let her kids go because she never lets her children go to the park alone. But, since there were three adults she let them go! We played go fish in K’ekchi. Then we flew kites and ate ideals (which are a type of Popsicle in a bag made of fruit). Also, of course we took lots and lots of pictures. Around noon we came home (which I was happy about because I was getting burnt even with sunscreen!) However, I had sooo much fun at the park with all the kids. I love my host siblings the best! They are such a help to me. They help me learn the language and meet new people in the town.
Later in the afternoon I received a call from Adam asking if I wanted to go to the river in Belmopan. I had to tell him no because I had a packed full day of things to do. (I was a little sad because last Sunday I had such a blast at the river.)
Then we ate lunch as a family (rice and beans, chicken, and salad). After lunch I am now journaling while the whole family is doing lots of chores. But, in about ten minutes I am going to mill to pick up corn for the family! Oh, and Mrs. Cus brother and sister-in-law came over to visit and talk with the family.
Then we are going to Jehovah Witness church, which will definitely be an experience. I am going to learn more about their culture and meet more people in the community!

Disclaimer
This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment