Friday, May 7, 2010

Entry-into-Site

February 24, 2010


Today I had my Entry Into Site Presentation. It was an hour long presentation explaining a bit about Peace Corps, where I come from, and what I am doing here in Belize. It went well. I had a PowerPoint Presentation on my part, Mr. Austin Azul (My boss also had a PowerPoint to show the villagers about Peace Corps.)

I discussed about:

◦ Goals of Peace Corps

◦ Primary and Secondary Projects

◦ What work I am doing now

◦ What work I will be beginning

Presentation will also include:

• Where I come from

• Family

• Life in the States

• Comparison of Belize to U.S.

• Game

• Prizes

• Snacks

The Peace Corps' mission has three simple goals:

• Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.

• Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.

• Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.

Assignment Goals: Help the teachers use research-based education methodologies to promote student achievement

What I am doing here in the village and at Laguna Government School

◦ After school Writer’s Workshop Lessons (Std. 3,5, 6)

◦ Workshops with Teachers

◦ Sometimes teach when teacher is absent

◦ Early Childhood tests

◦ Aiding teachers whenever they ask for my help

My secondary project is working at the Laguna Internet Lab

◦ Fundraise

◦ Computer Classes Adults, High School, and kids

I also work with the women’s group:

◦ Improve the women’s literacy skills

◦ Teach computer classes to Women

◦ Marketing Cuxtals, baskets, jewelry etc.

◦ Fundraise

GLOW = Girls Leading Out World is another one of my secondary projects.

Promotes self-reliance, self-expression, and self-esteem

Club (beginning in May)

◦ Meet once a week

◦ Activities (Girls pick what they want to focus on).

◦ Cheerleading?

◦ Camp (July) 2 girls are picked from Laguna to go

I then showed pictures of all my family and friends from the states. My house, as well as the schools I attended. I discussed North Wildwood and its beach and boardwalk. I also had a game comparing Belize to the United States. Those that answered a question correctly received a prize.

Afterwards, I had sweets and snacks (watermelon, oranges, cakes, cookies, and sweets.)


Disclaimer This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment