Saturday, August 14, 2010

School winding down, but still a productive school week!

May 31 –June 6 was a busy week full of education review for the students. This week Laura, a PCV way up north, came to my village. She was my first PCV visitor. I was nervous to have her because I wanted her to have soo much fun. However, sometimes village life is just sitting in the hammock reading, which we did. On Friday, she did a fabulous workshop on educational games. The teachers walked away with new ideas and resources.
June 7-June 13, 2010 was a very busy, but productive week. I took class and individual pictures of the whole Laguna School. My plan was to make yearbook; however, many of the teachers and parents said they would not pay for a yearbook because money is limited in my village. So I scrapped that plan.

I printed all those pictures when I went back to the states. I handed them out for free when I came back. To print pictures here is so expensive. It is 3 dollars per picture. In the states we are lucky it is only 15 cents at Wal-Mart. Therefore, I printed about one hundred pics or something around there and it only cost $20 bucks for all those pics. I came back with two photo albums from my trip home. I brought albums back to show them more of the states, family, friends, and hometown of North Wildwood.

Anyway, this week of June I also did all my reading diagnostic tests for every student in the school. I taught each teacher how to use the tests. I noticed that many kids don’t know there letters or sounds and then the ones that do did not comprehend what they read. Therefore, my new idea is to start a preschool in Laguna. The love for education and learning begins at the early grades… especially prek and kindergarten.

This week I also have another GLOW (Girls Leading Our World) meeting. This week I taught them some cheers and a part of a dance. They love it!







Disclaimer This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment