Sunday, May 22, 2011

Maya Day 2011

Sunday May 15, 2011


Maya Day

Today I went to Maya Day, which is held at Blue Creek Tumulkin High School. I went with Ms. Gloria, Bernadina, and Mark. I dressed in my po’ot and ‘uk (traditional maya k’ekchi blouse and skirt). At Maya day they had:

-Chopping wood contest






 
-Baking corn tortilla contest


-Best dressed in Kekchi and Mopan Maya clothes




-Best dancer and tons more contests (they danced to the harp)!



They had all the local Maya quisine (a lot of caldo… however, Amy and I had tamales with cahoon cabbage in it… very unique!). There were also games to play.

I got to see Amy and other PC trainees. I enjoyed myself! Last year I was unable to go; therefore, I am very happy that I got to go this year!


Disclaimer This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment