Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Bonding with host mom!

Tuesday September 1, 2009

Today…was a normal day. We had training from 8am -5pm. I had a great conversation with my host mother this afternoon. She told me about how she never wanted to get married because when she was fifteen she was stalked by a boy. Then her father decided that when she was seventeen she had to get married. They arranged a marriage for her and she married Mr. Kus (my host father). She never met him… she just was engaged and then married to him. She cried and cried and hated her wedding day. She felt like it was her funeral. However, she got over that. She was at least happy that she did not marry a “drunkard” as she said. She likes that her husband does not smoke or drink… like her father did. She never wanted the life her mother had. I was taken back that she told me that story. However, I was happy because I am really forming bonds with her already… and I have only been here for a week!

Disclaimer
This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment