Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wow… I never realized how much I appreciate air conditioning.

Wednesday September 2, 2009
Today we went to the Peace Corps Headquarters to have a training session. It was very nice because we had air conditioning and a regular bath room… not a latrine. Also, it was normal washing my hands…. Regular soup and running water!!! (At my host family’s house I wash my hands in a bucket and some powder soap. )
Also, I got internet access to upload pictures and post things to my blog. VERY HAPPY!
Also, today we had a guest speaker who was supposed to come. She never showed. Ms. Ginnie said that is normal. In Belize people are always late (they are on the Belizean time) and sometimes people just never show. So I should expect that to happen often.
The highlight of my day was that my host mom really wants to teach me how to be a “Maya” woman. So she woke up at 3 am to prepare for her day. She told me to get up at 5 am to prepare lunch with her (so I did!!!). She wants me to cook, clean, and take care of the house.
She is definitely a perfectionist. She said it was because if things weren’t perfect in her house when she was growing up she would get a lashing. For example, my tortillas are not perfect circles lol. She said if her tortillas weren’t perfect circles she would get a lashing from her father. Another example, was if the floor was not swept correctly she would also get a lashing. She is not that strict with her kids… however, she still is very traditional and expects perfection from her children. (They are very well behaved kids!) I love them!


Disclaimer
This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment