Friday, September 11, 2009

Busy, busy, and busy DAYS!

Thursday September 3, 2009

Today we had language class all day. I am trying my hardest/best… but, my problem is the pronunciation. I can learn and remember the words quickly; however, when I read dialogue… I often pronounce the words “goofy.” The other trainees say that it is my New Jersey accent… hahah…. And I don’t think I have a NJ accent, especially since meeting all the trainees they thought I was from down south because of my accent. I just think it is because I have a unique voice lol.
At 11am we went to see the principal at the local school in my village. She was nice and very informative. She has taught since she was fifteen years old.
Some information I learned about the principal and school:
· She puts her strongest teachers in infant I and II (meaning K and 1st grade)
· Most of the teachers at her school have an Associate’s degree (Two teachers do not have training.)
· Some of her standard II (2nd grade) children are really old some are 9-12 years old. This is because they stayed at home and did not go to school because there was not a school nearby.
· They built there school two years ago because they did a survey and found out that the children in the community needed a closer school… they would travel far to go to school.
· The first year they opened they had 3 teachers and 60 some students. The principal taught, as well as being principal too.
· Every year the school increases by 100 students. Therefore, in 5 years she sees the school expanding and growing!
· They beg and plead to get more buildings and resources for the classrooms.
· They have 30 acres, but have not expanded. They have room to build up to 6th grade.
· The principal does lots of things on the side… she has very busy days ( for example, she teaches first aid and is a soldier).
· They are working on their mission and goal statement. However, there motto is “Mold them for success”


For language/cultural experience we went on a bus ride for practice. We traveled far. We saw another school. Then we waited two hours to catch the next bus.

Random info I forgot to say…
- September is a big celebration for Belizean holidays (St. George National day, Independence Day and Carnival.)
- My family doesn’t celebrate birthday or the upcoming Belizean celebrations or Christmas (Because they are Jehovah Witnesses).
- Lashing and spanking are culturally accepted here.
- Some women in the town are tradition house mothers and there are also some that are trying to be modern by trying to support the family too.
- I brush my teeth outside with a bucket (I spit the tooth paste on the ground)
- I love the Volunteer lounge where I can get my pictures posted.
- My favorite quote from Amy is… We all have role models. Who is following you?
- The children have a uniform for each day (one for every day)… I think because it is so hot and it rains a lot that they need a different uniform for each day.
- Mrs. Kus told me that is way different … when she was growing up she only had 2 dresses for the whole year.
- My host mom was married at 17 ten years ago… so I believe my host mom is 27 years old. The kids are 10, 7, and 2. She said that is all she wants. Even though she grew up in a Mayan family of 12 kids… she said it is too hard and expensive to have that many kids.
- Jose (Amy’s host brother) when he fell he said… “I drop”
- Kids run down the road naked all the time.
- Marah was telling me that her friend from school had a rusty nail in the eye…it is life threatening even though she was sent to Belize City hospital… so sad.



Disclaimer
This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment