Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Meeting my host family!

Thursday August 27th 2009

Thursday Aug 27th was another day of training we had to get up at 6 am to pack our bags and get them all down stairs to be picked up. The staff picked up the bags and then we all helped bring them into the Peace Corps office.
After breakfast we discussed and we had our first introduction to Technical Training (Teacher Training… Training lol). Then we had another lecture from Jackie (PCMO: Peace Corps Medical Officer) about other health problems; such as the Butt Fly, Malaria, Staff infection, gangrene infections, cuts etc…
Then we went off to our Community Based training sites. The four of us went to Maya Mopan. We were the last group to leave along with Belemopan. Also, I was the last one to get dropped off to my host family. First, Amy was dropped off to the house of the chairman and tortilla shop. She walked in and the host parents did not speak any English. I knew she had to be a little bit nervous. Then Kevina and Greg got dropped off to a house with tons of children playing outside. I was a bit jealous and hoped that my family had lots of kids too! Also, their host mom is a teacher… which would be good to learn from one another.
Then it was my turn. This little boy cam running up to Jamie (PCM: Peace Corps Manager) and gave her a big hug. Jamie laughed and said I am not your host sister, but Grace is! So he came running over to me and gave me a huge hug with a big smile. I was ecstatic and grateful to have such a warm welcome. Celestiono I thought would be my favorite; however, I love Marah and Lorenzo too. They are the cutest kids ever… they are ten, seven, and two years old. Also, my host mother couldn’t be nicer. She is a fantastic Mayan cook!!! DELICIOUS!
So my family is a family of five with a dog named Amy and a chicken with only one wing named Mullica, and a lot of turkeys and eggs. I enjoyed the first day with them. We chatted and I was so happy that they spoke English and K’ekchi very well. I spoke to them in English and they spoke back to my English. But, they talked K’ekchi to one another. The father plays football (soccer) everyday and works at the hospital. We have a little electricity and the only running water is the hose that is used to bath in. They are a happy Jehovah Witness family, who are grateful and happy. They said even when they don’t have food on the table they are still grateful to have one another and their health. (WOW) It makes me appreciate life. They are a close knit family. They have breakfast at 7am, a big Lunch at noon, and a light dinner at 7pm.
After dinner I colored with Celestino… in his dinasour coloring book… which was his favorite. Then I helped Marah with her word search. However, she definitely has better eyes than me lol! And then with Lorenzo we played this hand game… because he is only two years old. It took him to the end of the day to finally warm up to me and for him to let me hold him J
So my first day was rather easy. However, my roughest part was the bathroom. It is an outhouse/latrine… with a piece of risen wood with a large hole cut out in the middle. Also, you do not throw away your toilet paper you through it in the brown bag trash can next to the I guess… toilet seat.
The children made a picture for me to hang up by my bed. I was so happy because it brightens up my room! I went to bed early (8:30 pm) and it rained so hard on the tin rough… and the lightning and thunder was extremely loud… that not even me as a heavy sleeper could sleep through it!



Disclaimer
This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment