Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fri in Maya Mopan

Friday August 28, 2009

My second day at my host family’s house was my first day of training at the resource center. Marah walked me because I wasn’t positive how to get there.
Today we had an introduction and a welcoming to Tech (teacher trainer technical training) where we went over the COTE… which as a teacher I would call an agenda, calendar, or syllabus. Then we talked about primary education in Belize. After that the tech trainer and trainees went on to discuss how principals and administrators roles in Belize are way different then they are in U.S. Then we discussed lesson planning in Belize which is also different. Lastly we observed and brainstormed homemade resources we could use in the classroom.
After tech training I went home for lunch and ate with the family. We had chicken, rice, and salad (lettuce, cucumbers, and tomatoes)… this was my type of lunch. (I also took my malaria weekly pill. The side effects are crazy dreams, which I have not gotten so intensely yet. ;) )
After lunch I walked back to the resource room. It was my first training in K’ekchi . We went over language and culture: greetings and community part I, II, and III. Lastly we did a tour of Maya Mopan. There are very few shops in Maya Mopan. There is a streamstess and tortilla shops.

LANGUAGE REVIEW:

After the culture map walking I went back home and took more pictures with the family. It was a huge hit. All the neighborhood kids and neighbors came out to take pictures with my digital camera… and look at the pictures. We did that for about an hour. Hahah
Then I had my first Popsicle, which they call an “Ideal” out of a bag made of fruit… delicious…. I believe it was coconut. Then I went on a walk with Marah to a neighbor down the street to pick up the banana bread. We practiced the language when we were on our way. All the neighbors were asking who I was and why I was with Marah. She talked to them in Kekchi.
Then it was dinner. The father wasn’t there because he was out playing soccer. After dinner I played and colored with the kids. We hung my map of Belize in my room. However, it is where it is the kids can still look at it.
Now I am journaling while the kids are being disciplined… all I going to say is there is a lot of crying going on. Some disagree with this form of discipline. It is not my place to but in… bc this is there customs and cultures…
However, I enjoyed my super busy day overall!!!!
“Consequence will be before you do things.”
Disclaimer
This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment