Wednesday, December 23, 2009

November 2009

Monday November 2, 2009

This morning I woke up very early to send out a letter to the parents of Laguna. The letter described my goals, ideas, and me.

I then gave a speech at the public meeting at the community center. It went very well. Numerous villagers approached me about how excited they are that I am here and that I am trying to successfully get internet back into Laguna. The only issue is that there are only 300 people in my village and fundraising is an issue. The village has to fundraise for everything, and in order for the town to get internet it costs 577.50 a month (in Belize money 2:1).

After the meeting I heard about all the drama in Laguna; for such a little village it has lots of gossip and controversy.



Tuesday November 3, 2009

I subbed all day. I have been subbing a lot! The P.C. does not really want me to do that. However, I have been enjoying it very much!



Wednesday November 3, 2009

I didn’t go to school today because I had a Safety and Security meeting in Punta Gorda with the Peace Corps. The meeting was about getting to know your police. After that I was on the internet for a couple hours… but, hardly got any pics uploaded 

I got my BIKE!!! I am so excited. I am going to be so fit since my only transportation is walking and biking. I got a great deal… including the bike, bike stand, basket, and lock. The only complaint I have is that is painted black… and I wish it was pink.



Thursday November 5, 2009

Today I had a meeting with Daniel Mendez, safety and security staff, about my teacher house being fixed. I am so pumped to move in. It has three bedrooms, a kitchen, living room, shower, latrine, and 2 verandahs.

Daniel talked about how I should not have to pay rent since it is the ministry of education house. I am so excited… bc the chairman was making me pay rent, but the principal and the pc agreed that I should not have to pay.

I just know that the first thing that I need is to find a termite exterminator, electrician, plumber, and construction worker. I also need estimates and then the Peace Corps will have to accepts or deny it. I want to start right away because it seems as if things run very slow in Belize. I am learning patience. I love for things to get done right away…

Friday November 6, 2009

Today I gave the students (std III & IV) four tests today. I feel that they are really prepared to do well!



Saturday November 7, 2009

I am finally getting my digicell cell phone today! I now can have cell phone service in Laguna. GUESS WHAT it was canceled because of the hurricane  I was very disappointed. Another week without internet or cell service.

Today I am going shopping for many things today in Punta Gorda. (bank, police, karate, etc… so many places to go!)

I hope I don’t spend too much money. I have been spending a lot since all the Laguna villagers come around and sell me there jewelry, kushtals (purses), hair ties, baskets, artwork etc. Also, they have been charging me more than they would the local people in town. I am getting ripped off… I now know what it feels like to be a minority and a bit discriminated.



Sunday November 8, 2009

I waited and waited all day for the electrician to come today. He never showed. I was very disappointed because I need to get my estimates complete so that I can move into my own house.

While waiting I got to perfect and write some of my writer workshops lesson plans. So that was at least positive.

Also, I forgot to mention that there is no catholic church in Laguna. There is only k’ekchi prayer of worship or k’ekchi Pentecostal. So I attend those masses on Sundays… I like them because we sing and read a lot in K’ekchi.



Monday November 9, 2009

Today we had a really long productive teachers meeting discussing needs of the school.



Tuesday November 10, 2009

Today I went to my first KARATE class!!! I love it! Our instructor is a really cute and fit Belizean, 26 years old, and a doctor!!! Hahaha

I learned how to punch! There is a correct technique to punching. (I thought I already knew how to punch from my TAE BO experience).



Wednesday November 11, 2009

Today was the birthday of many of my friends… I didn’t get to wish them happy bday… bc I didn’t have internet or cell phone. Anyway, happy birthday Johanna, Carmine, and Theresa!!

Also today I had a Teacher Training Workshop in Punta Gorda, the district town. I learned more about special education and differentiation. (It was really a review of what I learning at Mount St. Mary’s University. ) I was happy to know that I am still up-to-date with all the teaching methodologies because the trainers for this workshop were from Missouri University.



Thursday November 12, 2009

This Thursday we had a parent meeting about the spray paint the children are putting on the walls. (I am debating to getting my masters in teaching administration (principal or vice)) However, after this meeting I am thinking a principals job might be more stressful than a teachers. The parents took out everything on the principal… they were screaming and annoyed at the principal for blaming their children. The parents think it is the teacher to blame. UHHHH… stressful.

Another KARATE class today! We learned how to block a face and stomach punch! Lots more to come…



Friday November 13, 20009

I had another teacher workshop on Reading strategies. I learned some new strategies that I can’t wait to use in the classroom! WOOOOHOOO! I love teaching!



Saturday November 14, 2009

ANOTHER WORKSHOP today! It was at big falls internet café.

I woke up again at 5 am to catch the bus. Every day I go into town I get up at 5am to catch the bus. So early for me, I am early to rise and early to bed.

Anyway, I stopped at the junction and got on the wrong bus. It was going to take me to Jalacte (the border crossing to Guatemala). It was not taking me to Big Falls, which was the place I was supposed to be. This nice lady who lives in both Laguna and Big Falls told me to get off at her house and catch the James bus that passes at 8:30 (so I had 2 hours to kill at her house). She made me breakfast and coffee. She was super kind and told me she would tutor me in Spanish for free!!! YAYYYY Cecy I will be able to converse to you in SPANISH!!!... soon!

Also while I was there I played with her precious 3 year old daughter, her son, and her teenage daughter. Her teenage daughter helped me make it to my workshop… otherwise I would be in Guatemala right now. Hahaha



Sunday November 15, 2009

Today I am going to Indian Creek for a Prayer of Worship K’ekchi retreat.

Also, I am going to lead and hold my first community and PTA internet meeting! Wish me luck please. That is my biggest goal so far (to get INTERNET in my Village!)



Monday November 16, 2009

Today I taught my Writer’s Workshop lessons to Std 5 and 6! I planned to go around from house to house to visit my fellow villagers in Laguna. I feel that I don’t know everyone yet and there is only 300 people… I should definitely know everyone! (I’m best at the with the students… bc there are only 74 of them at Laguna Government School.



Tuesday November 17, 2009

The Hill Side Health doctors and nurses came to teach health classes today. (Thank goodness it was no hand washing because the people of Laguna don’t regularly wash their hands!

By the sinks at the school there is no soap. I plan to have my host brother build me a locker to put soap in there for the kids… bc it is important to wash your hands after and before meals and also after using the bathroom!

Also, I had my third Karate Class!



Wednesday November 18, 2009

Another Writer’s Workshop tutoring lesson!

Disclaimer
This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment