Friday, May 7, 2010

Easter in Sarteneja

April 3-6, 2010
Sarteneja


Amy, Cali, Zan, and I went to visit Manissa in her beautiful village. I am so jealous. I wish I was placed there. She lives in a Spanish Speaking village of 3,000 people. say it is a village; however, it is big enough to be a town (again my village has 300 people Sarteneja has 3,000!) wow big difference. They have big shops with all sorts of stuff. Laguna Village only has small shops with about 3 or 4 things in it… literally.

Manissa lives right by the water, which is clear, blue, and warm. I swam in it all Easter day. We also got to kayak. Manissa works for a tour company who has all those kinds of equipment to take out in the water. Kayaking was lots of fun. I have never done that before. We took the kayaks out for 5 belizean dollars and enjoyed ourselves.

In Sarteneja they also had a huge Easter celebration and festival going on. They had greasy pole and greasy pig contest. The village also had “hold your breath underwater” contest and sail boat races. It was very fun. I truly enjoyed my Easter vacation. (I still wished I was placed in her village… lucky Manissa!)

Side note: I never had escabeche before coming to Belize. I had it for the second time here in Sarteneja. They don’t cook the shrimp, fish, or whatever seafood they put in it. They soak it in lime juice, which cooks it. It is like salsa with seasfood… delicious!





Disclaimer This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment