Thursday, October 28, 2010

A torturous day on BIKE

August 31, 2010
Today was a Tuesday and the Laguna bus does not go to town on Tuesday. The Laguna bus only runs market days, which are Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Well this Tuesday I had to go to town desperately because the preschool was opening the next day. I needed to get some last minute items.

So I woke up around 8:00am; then I texted a villager to see what time the busses run because I was going to bike to the junction (4miles) and then catch a bus on the high way. She said the only bus that runs on Tuesday is the 8:30 or noon. I couldn’t catch the noon because all the shops would be closed for lunch. Therefore, I had to rush, rush, rush to catch the 8:30 bus. I showered and got ready by 8:15 am. I saw a villager and she said “you are never going to catch the 8:30 bus you have less than 15 minutes to get to the junction.” Usually I park my bike about a mile from the junction at a villager’s house so that my bike doesn’t get stolen. However, today I said I was so late that I would have to bring my bike on the bus with me… which usually no one does. Well luckily I just made it to the junction. It took me 12 minutes to get to the junction, which I was pretty proud of and also I saw my host brother and begged him to lock my bike up at the villager’s house. He said yes; therefore, I didn’t have to bring my bike to town.

When I got to town I bought so much…. A little too much because I had such a difficult time riding my bike back with about 6 bags on the handle bars, a back pack, and one large bag in my basket. Plus to make things worse the sun was beaming hot. I struggled back to my house having readjusted the bags many times because they wouldn’t balance and the bags kept rubbing up on the wheels making me loose balance. This day was a day that I really wished I had my car. I never had such appreciation for the freedom of hoping in my car and running to the store in the states. I miss my car very badly!!!!

Disclaimer This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment