Saturday, February 26, 2011

Christening/ Mountain Cave Hike

December 26, 2010
I went to the House of prayer Church before Andrew because he was not used to getting up early and he to shower and get ready for church.

Once he arrived he said that we stuck out like sore thumbs because mostly everyone was a short maya kekchi Indian. He liked how they worship all together in the small church. Andrew called it a mini-church. He couldn’t understand anything that was said because the preaching and the singing were all done in K’ekchi. I was proud of myself that I can understand some things that were said or sung.





After the baptism we were invited to a party at the Acks. Andrew said it was not different than the U.S. – meaning that everyone knew everyone and that the hospitality was GREAT! He also said that the local people are extremely nice and polite; however, most of the kids were shy.




After the Party we went to Laguna Cave! I described the cave to Andrew and told him that caving is one activity in Laguna:

• Attractions near Laguna include ceremonial caves and pottery, skulls with their teeth still intact. Pictograph and another cave with a huge bat colony. From Laguna village it will take about a 30 minute hike to reach the high ladder that leads to the entrance of the cave. The ceiling of the cave has wide holes where the jungle canopy is visible. After hiking 30 minutes through the cave you will see the daylight; you have reached the entrance on the other side of the cave.

Eleven children guided Andrew and I up the mountain. Andrew said he wished he was young…Kids were like lightning bolts. They went so fast they forgot to chop the bush with the machetes. Even though it wasn’t rainy season it still was scary at some points. Andrew thought the top was absolutely beautiful and breathtaking. He called his mom on top of the Laguna mountain just to tell her how amazing it was!

I found it more difficult to go back down because it was slippery. Andrew kept telling me to let gravity guide me down. Once we got down we got to try some coconuts and cacao fruits.

After the hike we showered and then went to Acks house. Andrew gave the father his hat and we all just chatted even though we were all extremely tired.

Two little girls came to slept over. Andrew said he thought they were kinda using me. They watch my movies and eat my food. They kept asking for more and more. Now I know I need to continue working on saying no… even to small children.










Disclaimer This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment