Friday, September 11, 2009

9-9-09

Wednesday 9-9-09!!!

Today we had language training and then I had my first observation in the classroom! I observed the classroom. She was a very good teacher. She used positive reinforcement and all the reading strategies I would have used.
I had to perform a reading test on one student in the infant I class (it would be considered Kindergarten in the U.S.). The Infant I teacher said to pick any child because none really know how to read. Therefore, I asked this one little girl “did you go to preschool?” She nodded yes. Then I asked her if she would read this story for me? She again nodded her head yes. Then the teacher came over to tell me that she doesn’t speak any English at all! She said there are six kids who only speak Spanish, K’ekchi or Mopan. So then I picked a new child and assessed him. He did not know his letters or sounds. I enjoyed my observation. It helped me see where Infant I children are compared to the U.S.
After lunch I had a frozen chocolate banana… so good! Then we had a session about our project plan with Austin the education manager. After that we worked on all our numerous projects… we have lots of work to do during training.
Then I went home for dinner. I did not go to the Jehovah Witness meeting with my family because I was too exhausted. However, Mrs. Kus stayed up until midnight to finish baking banana bread. Then she got up at 5am. (The maya women get very little sleep)


Disclaimer
This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment