Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 3 Cultural Day

Saturday August 22, 2009

CULTURAL DAY!!
Saturday was sooo cool! We did so much! First, we went on a tour at the House of culture in Benque Viejo!!! I took many pictures. We saw Belizean musical instruments and Belizean art!
We then arrived at Mount Carmel high school. We had a lecture and a few performances for all the trainees. It was words of welcome with the flute and marimba music. The lecture was on “The Mayas and Mestizo in Belize.” Then we watched four kids from ages 13 to 16 perform a cultural dance. It was a cultural presentation by “Orquidea Negra Dance Group” and “La Chatona” – marimba and flute.
We then ate a Belizean lunch. I tried Escabeche, tamales and totoposte, fried calaloo with eggs, and mestizo desert and I did not try the “Horchata” which was supposedly delicious rice milk with cinnamon. They said it tasted like a liquid rice pudding.
After that we went to the Mayan Ruins in Xunantunich!!!! It was soooo AMAZING. There was a tour guide that was very informative. He took us around to the different areas. We got to climb the Mayan Temple.
The trainees and PCV Leaders also spelled Peace Corps Belize with our bodies in the grass… while a PCV stood on top of the Mayan temple and took a picture of it. Later, we went to dinner and then out to the cabana club! I am truly enjoying myself… however; I know there is a lot ahead of me between technical (education) training and language training!!!!
After the cultural day we went out in Belize….. We went out to Cabanas afterward with about 18 volunteers. It was lots of fun. I received a business card from one of the locals. He said I can go scuba diving anytime!!! I was so excited! However, then I found out that I had to get trained and certified before I go scuba diving. He also told me good islands to go hang gliding and other wonderful adventures. I also got asked to dance by the locals... I just laughed and walked away. hahahWhen we were all ready to leave we were trying to take a taxi... but instead a local asked us if we wanted to take a ride back to the hotel in his truck bed. He took all of us back. Then one of the volunteers and I walked to the Peace Corps office to upload and post pictures and blogs. However, once we got there the internet did not work. Then in the morning we found out that they turn off the internet from 10pm to 6am. (That makes me bummed.)

Disclaimer
This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment