Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Halloween in Laguna




Oct 29, 2009

So I was informed that Laguna Village School had a Halloween School Party, Costume contest, haunted house (they call it spooky house), and a dance later this week. We did not prepare much for it. Yet, I thought everything was going to be handled well.

Little did I know that on Thursday, the morning that we were supposed to have all these Halloween festivities, the principal called me at 8am to inform me that he would not be in today? He had a meeting in Punta Gorda.

My principal, Mr. Garcia, told me to put together the activities with little notice or information. I was a nervous wreck. I knew there was sooooo much to be done in sooooo little time.

I had the standard 5 and 6 (grade 5-8) helped me create the spooky house from scratch. (We hung my sheets to make a path. With their machetes the boys cut the big bay leave braches. We covered the community center with them so it would be dark and spooky.

Standard 3 and 4 drew, cut, and colored scary decorations to hang. I asked children to bring any scary items that they had in their home. They had none. Yet, a little girl let me borrow her hammock… so we used that as a spider web to trap people in the spooky house.

I helped the kids act. I told them to jump out of the curtains and make scary noises (scream and yell). They were good at that lol.

Also, I was soooo happy that my dad sent me Halloween decorations in the mail. Those two items were the main attraction of the haunted house. It was a bat that made a spooky noise and a skeleton whose eyes blinked red. The kids were amazed and just those two silly decorations.

We only made 12.00 dollars (we charged the kids a shilling (25 cents) to enter. (Some kids did not want to enter because they were scared.)

There was a controversy with the costume contest because Mr. Garcia said that the children can buy there masks from Punta Gorda… but, that did not help them win the points. They were annoyed that the lost the contest after spending money. The two teachers and I judged on creativity, originality, scariest, and overall appearance. The winners where all homemade costumes (some of the costumes were very creative for limited money and resources.)



Disclaimer
This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment