Friday, May 7, 2010

San Bonito Poite! (Lilly's Village)

March 26-28, 2010


I reached back to Punta Gorda with Amy (another PCV… aka my traveling buddy) and we stayed in the Charleston that night. Afterwards we were deciding to go back to our own villages or go to Lilly’s village, which is called San Bonito Poite.

Amy and I decided to go to the village. However, we had to walk to San Bonito Poite because neither Amy or I had enough clothes to last us the weekend. So we stopped at her house to get some K’ekchi dresses. So Amy and I had to walk from Santa Theresa (Amy’s Village) to San Bonito Poite (Lilly’s Village). It was a longggggggggggg walk!!! It took us 4 hours to get there… it was hot and hilly and we had limited water. Amy was so kind to give me some of her water when mine ran out.

We made it to Poite, but we missed the killing of the bull. They have a big celebration in Poite for Palm Sunday. They kill a bull and eat caldo, which is famous dish (soup) in the village. It is just made from water, rocadoo (which turns it red) and salt and the meat… hopefully no laurd!!! AHHH I hate laurd! (Again I’ll repeat myself 1 cup of laurd = over 1800 calories… and I was eating that all the time with my host family.

I enjoyed staying with Lilly. It was really village life. There is no electricity there. They only have solar panels and Lilly’s solar panel is too old to work. Therefore, once it got dark we ate, read and chatted by candle light.

Sunday we went swimming in Poite River. It was soooo gorgeous! They all jumped off the water fall and did flips… I just enjoyed swimming and getting some exercise!





Disclaimer This website expresses the views of Grace Boswell, who is entirely responsible for its content. It does not express the views of the United States government, the Belize government, the Peace Corps or any other institutions named or linked to on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment